On my new schedule this would be a "theory" post, but I'd hate to keep you in suspense about how the journal goes together (Will I use two staples or three? How will I fold it? :) ), so I'm swapping them and next week will be about storage and organisation in the workshop.
In part 1 I went through the design process for a daily journal with printed pages, a card cover and saddle staples. In this post I'll show how I actually put them together, using mostly basic home office supplies.
The pages are printed and stacked. I've got a decent office colour laser; cheap to run and good for clean graphical prints like this, no good for photos but I bought it for the specific purpose of churning out cheap documents and doing graphics for the workshop. Photos I can get done elsewhere.
My childhood origami practice comes into play folding the pages in half with nice sharp creases.
I'm using Holly Green 270gsm recycled card from Eco-Craft. It's just barely thin enough to be folded by hand, but it tends to get a bit crumpled around the crease. I use a cheap plastic bone folder to crease the card and get a sharp clean fold.
This is where I use the only specialised piece of equipment in the process - a Bostitch manual saddle stapler. You could definitely do it with a regular long arm stapler for less than £10, but the saddle stapler sets the staples really neatly upright on the spine of the booklet. I justified it on the basis that I had a feeling I'd be making various booklets in future, set a watch on Ebay and picked this one up new for £40, which is about 20% off the list price.
This thickness of booklet is right on the edge of what the Bostitch will do, and the staples tend to come through a little proud, but they're easily flattened down.
Next: Split and trim. As I mentioned in part 1, this guide from Big Jump Press is a fantastic explanation of how to cut and trim a booklet with hand tools, but the main elements are:
I would add from my own experience: Make sure to keep the blade of the knife vertical, particularly if you're cutting lots of layers. I tend to tilt the blade if I don't pay attention and then you get sloping edges; no bueno.
I flatten the booklet out to trim the top and bottom and cut across the middle to split the two journals apart.
Then I fold it closed to trim the edge, so as to get a flat edge to the pages.
The two journals are now fully trimmed. The printed pages are actually a little high and to the left, which I thought I'd corrected after the last batch but apparently not; I adjust the digital file now to make sure the next batch are dead on (it might still take a couple of iterations), and make a prominent note to myself. There's nothing worse than forgetting what you've adjusted between versions, doing it again and overshooting.
Nearly there, and the most fun stage: It's time to punch the corners with the little Docrafts hand punch.
It can only do one cover page or a few inner pages at a time, so it's just a matter of getting into a rhythm and crunching away.
Mmmm....satisfying :) I highly recommend corner punch therapy if you're feeling a little tense.
See you soon!